Sellafield

 
 Sellafield railway station at the end of the single track section from Whitehaven.
 
 Sellafield with the Irish Sea beyond. (Visit Cumbria).

View Larger Map

Sellafield's station was opened in 1850 to serve a remote area of farms and marks the southern end of a single track section of the Cumbrian Coast Line from Whitehaven. The station is unusual in having an island platform for north-bound trains but the old station building, made out of attractive bricks, still stands and has been extended with a brick and local slate structure.

The area grew in the 1940s due to the establishment of the Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF) near to the small village of Sellafield, as a sister factory to ROF Drigg just down the coast. From 1947 this grew into the Sellafield Nuclear Reprocessing Plant and the site now employs about 10,000 people, mostly west Cumbrians. Older facilities at Windscale and Calder Hall are being dismantled but new nuclear reactors are to be built before 2025. Freight is still important at the station because of the Thorp reprocessing plant.

There is no longer a visitor centre at the Sellafield nuclear plant and this station is mostly used by workers going to and from their jobs.

The railway line runs between the nuclear plant and a river which is separated from the sea by low coastal dunes. North of Sellafield, the line runs right on the edge of the beach and separated from it in some places by colourful beach cottages and holiday homes. These cottages are on a shingle ridge above the high tide line and have little in the way of vehicle access.

There is limited car parking at Sellafied.

 

 
A2A Affordable Web Design - SMS Marketing - Affordable SEO & English Lakes
Designed By A2A Internet