Dalston

Dalston station

 A trains heads to Carlisle from Dalston.   (JT)
 
St Michael's church at Dalston.  (JT)
Dalston Hall and Pele Tower. (Picture from Visit Cumbria)

View Larger Map

Dalston station is a request stop.

Dalston is a village just 6 km/4 miles south west of the city of Carlisle. It grew because of the cotton and flax industries but is now home to a Nestle plant making powdered milk and drinks. The population is currently about 2,500 but the village is also home to Limehouse boarding school. Visitors also come to Dalston to stay at Dalston Hall (4 star Country House Hotel and golf club) especially when visiting the area for the Carlisle Races. The Hall dates back to about 1500 AD and incorporates one of the many Pele Towers to be found in the county.

The centre of the village has shops and the church of St. Michael, built in 1750 but with a chancel dating back to the 13th century. The village square also features some unusual house designs.

Just 3 km/2 miles south of Dalston is Rose Castle, home of the Bishops of Carlisle until 2009.

The old station buildings still exist at Dalston and car parking spaces have been provided, a short walk away from the southbound platform. The light industry either side of the station still gives it a busy feel as do the goods sidings which are often filled with wagons. This is now a rare sight at many of the smaller stations.

A childrens play area is situated close to the car park. For another picture of the childrens art on Dalston station, have a look at the Gallery page. 

 School art on Dalston station.  (JT)

 
A2A Affordable Web Design - SMS Marketing - Affordable SEO & English Lakes
Designed By A2A Internet