Bootle is a request stop.
Bootle lies within the Lake District National Park and between the sea to the west and Black Combe and Bootle Fell to the east. The town only has a population now of about 750 but was granted its market town charter as early as 1347 and is said to be England's smallest market town. It is 39 km/24 miles north of Barrow-in-Furness
The settlement dates back to at least Saxon times but on Bootle Fell there is the ancient Swinside stone circle and in the dunes at Eskmeals, Roman altars and coins have been found.
In the town, the Church of St. Michael dates back to Norman times; but its tower was only completed in AD 1882. It contains some beautiful stained glass windows. Just to the north of the church, up the main road towards Ravenglass, lies Millstones Barn. Here there is a fine cafe with home made food and good quality ice cream.
The railway station for Bootle is about 2 km/1.5 miles north west of the town at the settlement of Bootle Station, close to the hamlet of Hycemoor. The first station was built by the Furness Railway and opened in 1850. Now it is a request stop but it achieved notariety on the night of 22nd March, 1945, when a burning wagon full of depth charges exploded to the south of the station. The resulting crater was 32 metres/105 feet long and 15 metres/50 ft deep.The brave locomotive crew prevented even more extensive damage and one of them lost his life when the wagon exploded.
The station building is now in use as a private house but has been nicely restored and the ironwork shows that it was built by the original Furness Railway in 1873. The old goods shed still stands and is also in private ownership. Just to the south of the station today, some small stands of bamboo can be seen, looking slightly out of place in western Cumbria. There is no car park at this station.
Here the line is closer to the slopes of the fells than it is to the sea and to the north west lies Whitfell, 573 metres high. In this area many of the walls dividing the fields are made out of rounded stones indicating a coastal or glacial origin.