Aspatria is a request stop.
People have lived in the Aspatria area for at least 3000 years. The town lies on a Roman Road but the place name is a mixture of old Celtic and Norse, meaning "The place of St Patrick's ash tree". Vikings settled the area in AD 900 and remains of Viking chiefs have been unearthed near the town.
Now the town is best know for the church of St. Kentigern, which is built on the site of earlier Saxon and Norman churches. Remains of an Anglo-Danish cross can be seen in the church.
Scottish and Lake District mountains can be seen from Aspatria as the town lies almost half way between the coast and the northern edge of the Lake District National Park.
Aspatria station was built by the Maryport & Carlisle railway in 1841. The top picture is by courtesy of Cumbrian Railways. There is a small car park at the station and the centre of the village is about 0.5 km/0.3 miles, or a 10 minute walk, away. Close to the station stands the Dairy Crest Creamery.
The town grew following the building of the railway and in the last half of the 19th Century, five coal mines opened. The last one closed in 1940, and the village now lies in a quiet rural setting.